Legal Administrative Assistant:
Angela McClintic | (612) 373-8506
Jessica Nelson’s practice focuses on the areas of employment and employee benefits law, including both advice work and litigation. Ms. Nelson has experience with a broad range of civil litigation, with a focus on ERISA litigation and employment defense. She represents employers, benefit plans, third-party administrators, fiduciaries, and individuals in complex disputes before state and federal courts, the American Arbitration Association, and various state and federal agencies including the Minnesota Department of Labor, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development and state and local fair employment practices agencies.
In addition to litigation, Ms. Nelson frequently provides counsel to her clients on various legal issues relating to employee benefits and employment law, including compliance with ERISA and other federal and state laws governing retirement plans and health and welfare plans, risk management, employee discipline and terminations, noncompetition agreements, FLSA, FMLA, ADA, and anti-discrimination laws.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Nelson practiced for three years in the litigation department at one of the largest law firms in Minnesota and also spent two years as a law clerk in the chambers of the Honorable James M. Rosenbaum, then Chief Judge of the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota. Ms. Nelson also dedicates a portion of her practice to pro bono work and she serves as the secretary of a local non-profit board of directors.
- Employment Litigation and Counseling
- Employee Benefits Litigation and Counseling
- Civil/Commercial Litigation
- J.D., University of St. Thomas School of Law, summa cum laude, 2005
- President's Scholarship (three-year, full tuition)
- Dean's List (all semesters)
- Law Review, Articles Editor
- Judge Earl R. Larson Award, Minnesota Chapter of the Federal Bar Association
- B.A., University of St. Thomas, summa cum laude, 2000
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
Professional Activities and Memberships
- Federal Bar Association, Member
- Minnesota Women's Lawyers, Member
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
- Saint Paul’s Outreach, Board Member
- Chrysalis Safety Project, Volunteer
- St. Joseph's Parish Teaching Committee, Member