Spend the summer at Felhaber Larson and experience the real practice of law. Our Summer Associate Program offers the best of both worlds – small enough to receive special attention, but large enough to provide a realistic, hands-on experience of what it is like to be an associate at the Firm. You will work with a number of attorneys on interesting and challenging projects in a variety of practice areas. We believe this is the best way for you to evaluate Felhaber as a place to practice law and for us to evaluate your potential as a lawyer.
Here is how the program works:
- Work Assignments – While you will be asked to work in a variety of areas, we encourage summer associates to take the initiative and request work
- from shareholders and associates in areas of their particular interest. Your work will not just be researching and writing; we do our best to make sure you have the opportunity to attend trials, depositions, closings and client meetings.
- Feedback and Evaluation – In addition to informal evaluation offered by the attorneys with whom you work, summer associates receive two formal performance evaluations. Each Felhaber attorney who assigned work to the summer associate is invited to submit an evaluation that is reviewed with the summer associate by members of the chair of the Felhaber Recruiting Committee.
- Mentoring – Every Felhaber summer associate is assigned a mentor who is a member of the Recruitment Committee. The mentor serves as a valuable resource on the inner workings of the Firm, substantive legal issues and other matters that arise during the summer. In addition to the assigned mentor, the Firm’s associates are always available to answer questions about the Firm, offer guidance on a project or simply provide a note of welcome or encouragement during the summer.
- Qualifications – Felhaber Larson respects and reviews each candidate on the basis of their individual strengths and experiences. As a general rule, however, successful candidates typically come from the top 25% of their class and will participate in law review, moot court or an equivalent program.
- Offers to Return as an Associate – While an offer to join the Firm as an associate is not guaranteed, our goal is to extend offers of employment to all of the successful summer associates to join the Firm following graduation. Felhaber Larson does not view its summer associate program as a “process of elimination.” Rather, we see this as an opportunity for all summer associates to demonstrate their skills and personal characteristics. Because the Firm invests substantial time and resources into the program, we want our summer associates to succeed.
To apply for a Summer Associate position for next summer, submit cover letter, resume, transcript, and writing sample by August 31 to HR@felhaber.com